Theatre activities in Finnish began in the autumn of 1906, with the establishment of the Vaasa workers' theatre (Vaasan Työväen Teatteri). The activity ground to a halt due to the civil war in 1917 and the theatre building was taken over by the White Guard. They found a cache of weapons beneath the stage and, as punishment, the building's stage along with all its equipment was destroyed. The theatre folk regained possession of the building in the fall of 1919, but in 1930, the theatre activities faced another interruption when another cache of weapons was found in the basement of the People's House and the premises were confiscated. In 1972, the theatre was brought under municipal control and named Vaasan kaupunginteatteri.
The building's extensive renovation and extension work, during which the old art nouveau building's appearance was restored to its original look, was completed in 1992. With its spacious lobbies and granite and steel materials, the new section designed by architect Annikki Nurminen represents modern architecture. As the construction work progressed, the new wing of the building was equipped with modern stage facilities. Romeo, the hall that is home to the big stage, seats 370 people, while Julia, which houses the small stage in the old wing, seats 118. The theatre restaurant Kulma has room for 160 customers.
The underground car park in the recently completed theatre block has 348 parking spaces on two levels. The car park is meant for the use of the block's residents as well as for the general public. Theatregoers can park their cars in the car park subject to a charge.