The oldest building in the campus complex is the Lindskog house, built in 1797. The first stone building in town, it belonged to the biggest shipowner of his time, Alfred Lindskog. After this, the two-storey building that survived the fire of 1835 housed a wholesale firm and store, among other things. It has also been used as a residential building.
The area was built by encompassing buildings from various eras into a single, large space. The complex, joined together by means of glass structures, is composed of Lassfolk's old red-brick lace factory, the Lindskog house and a new building. In its present form, the campus that lines three rediscovered streets from the 1700s provides a meeting place for cultural activities, many forms of art, education and business.
CAMPUS ALLEGRO'S OTHER HALF USED TO BE A LACE FACTORY
The first Finnish lace and ribbon factory began operating under the leadership of Anders Lassfolk in 1911. At first, the factory made do with a single machine, but after ten years, the number of machines had grown to 80. The production expanded into ribbons of all kinds, from ornamental bands to shoelaces. For decades, growth remained robust, and the factory in the three-storey building on Isokatu kept operating right up to 1992.
The design of the campus area now operating in the site began at the start of 2000 and construction was under way in 2009. Campus Allegro was completed in 2013, and came to serve the needs of educational institutes, businesses and cultural life. The architect, Roger Wingren, used the new section to link several centuries to modern requirements.
Our restaurant's facilities are ideally suited to function as the venue of both business and family events and can be modified according to the event's theme.
The spacious dining hall that seats 200 people gets plenty of natural light. The roomy interiors are clad in light colours and hues of wood. Orange and green spots welcome customers and help them to take a moment to relax. The architectural styles of different centuries joined by a glass roof and the modern technology come together in a way that is both calming and reinvigorating. The restaurant's historical setting is amazing and the red-brick façade of the old factory, for example, is reminiscent of days past.