Shipping magnate A.W. Björkman commissioned the construction of the unique building representing the neoclassical style more than 150 years ago in a great spot opposite the Kirjurinluoto island. For decades now, the Suomalainen Klubi – Svenska Klubben restaurant has cherished the banquet and food culture with merit in this building of cultural and historical importance.

The original main building of Björkman was completed in 1854 and underwent a sizeable extension in 1861. In 1912, the club Svenska Klubben i Björneborg set up shop in the building as a meeting place. In the early 1940's, they were approached by the building's landlord, who suggested sharing the meeting facilities with the newly established public servants' club of Pori. The proposal was seconded and the cooperation took off. The building's elegant and historical premises were therefore also adopted as the venue for the regular meeting activities of the public servants' section of Pori's Suomalainen Klubi in 1941, and the cooperation has continued seamlessly ever since. Nowadays, the club's restaurant is open to all friends of good food on weekdays, and the premises can also be reserved for corporate and private events.

The two-storey building plays a central role in the history of Pori's restaurants. It has served as an important meeting place for festive occasions of various kinds and retained the restaurant's elegance and prestigious traditions throughout the decades. The first floor houses the building's stylish and popular dining hall and glass function room as well as the lobby bar, decorated in an authentic 1950s style. Also on the first floor is Nortamo, the private room dedicated to the Satakunta literary club (Satakunnan Kirjallinen Kerho) and named after the gifted dialect writer Hj. Nortamo.

The second floor houses the building's most impressive space, the big banquet hall. The hall has a stage that has functioned as the platform  for many an enjoyable performance and uplifting toast. The floor also has a stylish and historical function room named Marski. The name refers to C.G.E Mannerheim, who served as protector of the realm and later commander-in-chief of the Finnish armed forces, and who is known to have had dinner with his retinue in the room on 13 April 1919. The most notable work of art in the building is found in the Nordman room on the second floor, where a wonderful fresco of the name Pohjanpoika merellä covers an entire wall.